Wednesday, January 03, 2007

These computers are smarter than they look!

btw,

does anyone else find it humorous that the new google adwords computers have parsed my blog, "read" the contents, and decided how to focus the ads you see on the side of the blog --> ?

when I logged in today, I saw about 5 ads for people suffering from bulimia.

Thrilled that I had somehow captured the lucrative "early female teen, young adult female, and gay dude" demographic, I decided to investigate further through google analytics. It turned out that most of my "readers" were actually newsfeeds to zoologists, and a posting on "hot or not?"...sigh...

That must explain why no one was clicking on my bulimia ads!

I called the folks at google immediately and tried to explain that the references to vomiting and nausea and weightloss among those who saw my blog and commented really had nothing to do with an "eating disorder" perse. A more plausible and proximate cause, i explained, was likely the contents of my posts, the comments and owed in no small part to my profile picture.

Curious, the google folks went to inspect....after some muffled laughing, interspersed with some gagging sounds, a different person returned to the phone and explained it would take a few days to get the google adwords computers to refresh, and advised me that I was being put on probation for content not suitable for impressionable minors. I ceded.

ciao,
fuBarrio

No comments: