Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fed Slashes Rate by 75 Basis Points

Fed Slashed Rates by 75 Basis Points in a "suprise" move before the FOMC meeting.

The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent
Wow....to see how suprised I was see my last post.

I was working this morning, but luckily my work day in uruguay starts three hours before the market opens.

During a break in the action I took a lunch break and traded (small) on my convictions and made (a little) coin.

I went long on SSO (canadian silver mining stock) at 30 and change and after it went up a couple of points dumped it. of course, it has continued to go up since i dumped it but i didn't have time to watch it today (and didn't even know at the time that BB had dropped the rate - or announced a press conference - or however he telegraphed this).

I dropped my sds (s&p double short) which bets the s&p will fall at the gap down on the open.
BUT, like i said in my previous posting i'm looking for a chance to reenter that trade - asap. This is just one of those markets I don't like being "not short" :)

Ok...lunch break is almost over and it's time to get back to my day job. The traders have to be loving this volatility....especially when it's so friggin' predictable!

ciao,
fuBarrio

No comments: